AW: st: RE: on restructuring of panel datasets

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   AW: st: RE: on restructuring of panel datasets
Date   Thu, 27 Jan 2011 21:19:09 +0000 (GMT)

thanks a lot. the reason is that VAR1, VAR2, etc are sectoral profits. I would
like to run a common regression of profits on the other variables. For this
reason, I am doing this restructuring.

----- Ursprüngliche Mail ----
Von: Nick Cox <[email protected]>
An: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Gesendet: Donnerstag, den 27. Januar 2011, 14:53:34 Uhr
Betreff: st: RE: on restructuring of panel datasets

As far as Stata is concerned this is already a panel dataset. It is difficult to
see why you want this restructure, which would break that.

But what you ask for is possible through -reshape long-.

I would like to ask for help with the reorganizing of a panel dataset. I
have a panel data set with the following structure:

Firm        date      VAR1      VAR2     VAR3 (other vars follow)
1              1              0              1      2
1              2              1              2      3
1              3              2              3      1
2              1             .                .       .
2              2             .                .       .
2              3             .                .       .
3              1
3              2
3              3

VAR1      VAR2     VAR3 actually are sub-elements of a general variable VAR.

I would like to create the following series where these variables are combined
in

a single variable VAR for all firms:
On the example of firm 1, I would like to get:

Firm        date      VAR
1              1              0
1              1              1
1              1              2
1              2              1
1              2              2
1              2              3
1              3              2
1              3              3
1              3              1
and so on.

I also have other variables in the dataset but I guess they will be reordered
automatically with respect to this order.

*  http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
*  http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
*  http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/