RE: st: generate

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: generate
Date   Fri, 8 Oct 2010 10:31:59 +0100

I haven't got 9.2 on my machine any more, but I imagine that #variables is much more likely to bite you than #observations. Again, look at -help limits- to see what the numbers are in your case. ("9.2" is not enough information to pin it down.)

Hence the sentiment "you are better off long than wide" still applies to you, at least more than the converse.

Mirriam Gee

I am referring to limit in terms of number of observations. I am using
stata version 9.2.

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's the same data, wide or long. Which limit, observations or variables, do you imagine will bite first? Look at -help limits- for your version of Stata (not stated here).
>
> Before you replied, I was going to reinforce Dimitriy's advice. I would reach for -reshape- in this instance and I would keep the data in long form, at least on the information you have given.
>
> In a concurrent thread, I have commented:
>
> Some things are easier with a  wide structure but most things are easier otherwise.
>
> There is much more discussion in
>
> SJ-9-1  pr0046  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Speaking Stata: Rowwise
>        (help rowsort, rowranks if installed) . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
>        Q1/09   SJ 9(1):137--157
>        shows how to exploit functions, egen functions, and Mata
>        for working rowwise; rowsort and rowranks are introduced
>
> Although that column shows that you can do many things rowwise, the underlying theme is that it isn't usually trivial.

Mirriam Gee