Re: st: WinEdt 6 text editor/ highlighting Stata syntax

From   Bert Jung <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: WinEdt 6 text editor/ highlighting Stata syntax
Date   Thu, 9 Sep 2010 09:34:22 -0400

Friedrich Huebler has general comments on integrating external editors
and Stata, http://s281191135.onlinehome.us/2008/20080427-stata.html.
Maybe that would be of help?

As alternative to WinEdt you can also check out the free Notepad++
(NPP, http://notepad-plus-plus.org/).  You can specify your own syntax
highlighting scheme quickly and transparently (go to View / User
Defined Dialogue).  NPP also offers code folding which so far missing
in WinEdt.  Friedrich describes how to use keyboard shortcuts to run
blocks of code in Stata.  NPP also has a number of useful plugins,
e.g. a FTP plugin that allows you to directly edit remote programs
(NppFTP).

The one downside is the creation pdfs from latex.  While WinEdt (at
least version 5) can close and re-open Acrobat to refresh a pdf
document, NPP cannot yet do this for Acrobat (but it does work for
other pdf readers like the free Sumatra).

Cheers,
Bert