AW: st: Create variable as a copy of a dynamically calculated second variable

From   "Wiemann, Markus" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   AW: st: Create variable as a copy of a dynamically calculated second variable
Date   Thu, 9 Sep 2010 15:35:45 +0200

Eric,

Thank you for your quick reply.
I guess you are right and I did not make my intention really clear.

My code example was pseudo-code which was not intended to work like that in Stata. What I want - expressed in Stata code - is the following:

. gen newvariable = .
. replace newvariable = value2001 if firstyear == 2000
. replace newvariable = value2002 if firstyear == 2001
Etc

I know this could be done in a loop, but in the future I might also need it with alphabetic variables like in the following (of course, in this case, without adding 1 to the value in firstyear):
********
clear
inp str3 first valueABC valueDEF valueGHI valueJKL
ABC 2 3 4 5
DEF 1 1 1 1
GHI 8 8 8 8
JKL 9 9 9 9
end
gen newvariable = .
replace newvariable = valueABC if strmatch(first, "ABC")
replace newvariable = valueDEF if strmatch(first, "DEF")
replace newvariable = valueGHI if strmatch(first, "GHI")
replace newvariable = valueJKL if strmatch(first, "JKL")
*********

So, in my case, it would be easiest to somehow tell Stata that I want it to copy the value which is stored in the variable named "valueXYZ" with XYZ whatever the value of firstyear is.
Do you know what I mean? Is this possible like that?

Markus