RE: st: I wish I'd known that -

Subject   RE: st: I wish I'd known that -
Date   Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:14:34 +0200

<>

" However, I would still like to hear more from those who have recently
learned Stata, and who are possibly still struggling with it."

I do belong to this group, even though (most of the time...) I am no longer
struggling with Stata. I only bought my licence in December of 2007, so it
has only been 2 and a half years. I recall moments full of desperation
initially, when I, for example, rummaged endlessly through the menus trying
to find a certain dialog box that I knew was useful. Then I learned about
-db-...

Then I started listening carefully to Statalist output, rerunning all the
examples being posted by the pundits, which led to new questions ("Why does
the // comment sign only work from the do-file editor?") Also, the tips in
the SJ were extremely helpful, as was the "Speaking Stata" column by NJC.
When the moving wall at the SJ was established
(http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-02/msg00631.html), it gave my
efforts an enormous boost. The two most important articles are by far the
ones already pointed out by Austin in
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-08/msg01381.html, about
-foreach- and -bysort-. Would I have wished I had read them "earlier" than I
did? Not really: To appreciate their content, you must have tried all the
alteratives to the techniques advocated in there and failed miserably :-)

Learning Stata is not much different from learning a language. Apart from my
mother tongue German, I have learnt five other languages over the years:
Latin, Ancient Greek, English, Spanish and Italian. You need a lot of
stamina to get over the initial frustration that is bound to occur (think
the distinction between -if- and -if-,
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/lang/ifqualifier.html). But once you are
past it, it is pure pleasure and smooth sailing. Obtaining help from
like-minded people, as we regularly do on Statalist, is a great way to ease
the initial pain. Thanks to all listers who made this possible for me!

HTH
Martin