Re: st: RE: I wish I'd known that -

From   Austin Nichols <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: I wish I'd known that -
Date   Thu, 26 Aug 2010 17:16:14 -0400

David Elliott <>:
Thanks for pointing out
[ ]
--I hadn't seen it before.

But I honestly can't believe that -do-, -findit-, -local-, -by-,
-levelsof-, -foreach-, -svy-, -mi-, -graph- and -twoway- are not on
that list.  It also should link to
at minimum.  I.e. since it has some data manipulation commands on
there, it should also tell you how to put them in a do file with some

My own intranet Stata page says, among other things:

The User's Guide is a good place to start, and is now available in PDF
format, linked from the help files; for example, if you type help
estcom in Stata, one of the top lines in the help file is a link to
[U] 20 Estimation and postestimation commands (an article in the
User's Guide). Also required reading for all Stata users:

* Article on by [ ]
* Article on foreach [ ]

If you want to see what's going on inside a foreach loop, you can set
trace on and set tracedepth 1.

If you're looking for a graphics command, a good place to start is the
catalog of graphs on the Stata website [ ], with
commands needed to reproduce each graph shown directly below the graph