Re: st: AW: Two weights at the same time?

From   Daniel Goya León <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: AW: Two weights at the same time?
Date   Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:19:46 +0100

thank you very much. What you explain is consistent with what I had
managed to understand up to now

But you are right, I can easily make things worse messing around with
weights if I don't know what I'm doing. Thanks for the reference for
weighting

Daniel

On 17 August 2010 15:38, Steve Samuels <[email protected]> wrote:
> " These weights are for persons. If you are analyzing household
> characteristics or HH summaries of individual responses, none of them
> applies".  Actually a form correction might well apply for HH
> summaries of data on the problem forms.  Nothing will substitute for
> the advice of someone truly knowledgeable about this survey. Creating
> weight corrections without sound understanding is just asking for
> trouble. One way of checking your weights is to reproduce published
> estimates and their standard errors.
>
> Steve
>

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Steve Samuels <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The titles are similar but the problem is not. Daniel, I'm not
>> familiar with the GSS, but I have looked at:
>> http://publicdata.norc.org/webview/velocity?study=http%3A%2F%2Fpublicdata.norc.org%3A80%2Fobj%2FfStudy%2F4697&node=30&mode=documentation&submode=ddi&v=2&doprint=true.
>>
>> The advice below is based on quick reading of that page, and I could
>> well be wrong. I suggest that you contact someone who has analyzed the
>> survey data for these years and ask them to send you the code they
>> used to calculate the weights. In Stata, you should use probability
>> weights ("pweights") and not analytic weights.
>>
>> The study does not provide a base household weight, because all
>> households have the same weight. The FORMWT variable is relevant only
>> to certain forms. For analyzing variables on those forms, you create a
>> "final" weight equal to FINAL_WT= FORMWT x ADULTS; for other forms,
>> FINAL_WT = ADULTS If you are analyzing the ISSP questions on Form 1,
>> you might want to create a weighting factor to adjust for
>> non-response; see the section on the ISSP variable. You might also
>> create post-stratification weights to compensate for the
>> under-sampling of males.
>>
>> These weights are for persons. If you are analyzing household
>> characteristics or HH summaries of individual responses, none of them
>> applies. You would create a household weight equal to 1 for those
>> analyses, but see the section on "Weights for 2004-06 GSS".
>>
>> Good introductions to weighting are in: Groves, Fowler et al., Survey
>> Methodology, 2nd Ed, 2009 (Wiley); in Levy and Lemeshow, Sampling of
>> Populations, Wiley, 2009; and in Sharon Lohr, Sampling, Design and
>> Analysis: Brooks-Cole, 2009.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> -
>> Steven Samuels
>> [email protected]
>> 18 Cantine's Island
>> Saugerties NY 12477
>> USA
>> Voice: 845-246-0774
>> Fax:    206-202-4783
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 7:13 AM, Martin Weiss <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> <>
>>> Sounds very similar to Jochen`s recent thread at
>>> http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-08/msg00121.html
>>>
>>> HTH
>>> Martin

>>> [mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Daniel Goya