st: Two weights at the same time?

From   Daniel Goya León <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Two weights at the same time?
Date   Tue, 17 Aug 2010 12:04:54 +0100

Hello. I think this question might be more pure statistics than
stata-related, but hopefully you can help me out please.
I'm currently working with the GSS (1985 and 2004), and have an issue
with weights (for simple OLS regressions). The 2004 data includes a
variable that explicitely takes into account two things: subsampling
of a group due to two-stage stratification, and the number of adults
in the household.
My problem is that with the 1985 data I'm working, I also need to
correct for two things: people in household, and a form randomization
mistake from that year. But I have two independent weight variables.
(formwt and adults in 1985 gss). If my understanding is right, I
should use analytical weights for both. Is there any way to use two
weights at the same time? Is it valid at all to simply multiply them?
Am I talking nonsense?
I hope that you can help me out please, thanks in advance

Daniel

ps:I'm definitely studying some sampling before going into more
empirical work...