Re: st: AW: Two weights at the same time?

Subject   Re: st: AW: Two weights at the same time?
Date   Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:08:43 -0400

The titles are similar but the problem is not. Daniel, I'm not
familiar with the GSS, but I have looked at:
http://publicdata.norc.org/webview/velocity?study=http%3A%2F%2Fpublicdata.norc.org%3A80%2Fobj%2FfStudy%2F4697&node=30&mode=documentation&submode=ddi&v=2&doprint=true.

The advice below is based on quick reading of that page, and I could
well be wrong. I suggest that you contact someone who has analyzed the
survey data for these years and ask them to send you the code they
used to calculate the weights. In Stata, you should use probability
weights ("pweights") and not analytic weights.

The study does not provide a base household weight, because all
households have the same weight. The FORMWT variable is relevant only
to certain forms. For analyzing variables on those forms, you create a
"final" weight equal to FINAL_WT= FORMWT x ADULTS; for other forms,
FINAL_WT = ADULTS If you are analyzing the ISSP questions on Form 1,
you might want to create a weighting factor to adjust for
non-response; see the section on the ISSP variable. You might also
create post-stratification weights to compensate for the
under-sampling of males.

These weights are for persons. If you are analyzing household
characteristics or HH summaries of individual responses, none of them
applies. You would create a household weight equal to 1 for those
analyses, but see the section on "Weights for 2004-06 GSS".

Good introductions to weighting are in: Groves, Fowler et al., Survey
Methodology, 2nd Ed, 2009 (Wiley); in Levy and Lemeshow, Sampling of
Populations, Wiley, 2009; and in Sharon Lohr, Sampling, Design and
Analysis: Brooks-Cole, 2009.

Steve

-
Steven Samuels