AW: st: pweight + aweight, double weights

From   Jochen Späth <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   AW: st: pweight + aweight, double weights
Date   Thu, 5 Aug 2010 10:40:59 +0200

Hi Steve,

thanks for your little program. What I do not understand is your statement that with a "probability weighted mean of the  individual growth rates" I "would wind up with the rate based on the probability-weighted aggregated sums". Check out this:

**************************CODE BEGINS**************************
sysuse auto, clear
gen length_2 = displacement
rename length length_1
rename trunk pw

* Look up the pweighted sums of length_1 and length_2 for foreign and domestic cars:

table foreign [pw= pw], c(sum length_1 sum length_2)

* Look up the growth rates based on the aggregate sums of lenght_1 and length_2:

di "domestic:" (311319 - 270137 ) / 270137
di "foreign:"  (155268 - 235051) / 235051

* Do a pweighted mean of the individual growth rated with pw = inital value x pweight:
cap drop rate
gen rate = (length_2 - length_1) / length_1
table foreign [pweight = length_1 * pw], c(mean rate)

Jochen