st: combining data on same case from different lines

From   Marcelo Jenny <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: combining data on same case from different lines
Date   Fri, 25 Jun 2010 13:28:10 +0200

Hello,

could anyone point me to how to resolve the following situation during the stage of data cleaning.

I have an excert from a data bank with several lines of data per real world case.
The data table looks like that:

caseid     date                stage             publication
1            01oct1990       indictment
1                                    indictment    Journal, No 3, page 10
2           10may1995       indictment
2                                    indictment    Journal, No 1, page 5

Either the date or the publication reference is missing for each case in one of the stata case lines. I'd like to fill in these missing data and then drop the duplicate lines of data.

Any help is appreciated.

Marcelo Jenny

--
Dr. Marcelo Jenny
Universität Wien

begin:vcard
fn:Dr. Marcelo Jenny
n:Jenny;Dr. Marcelo
org;quoted-printable;quoted-printable:Universit=C3=A4t Wien;Institut f=C3=BCr Staatswissenschaft / Department of Government
adr;dom:;;Hohenstaufengasse 9/7;Wien;;1010
email;internet:[email protected]
title:Univ.Ass. / Assistant Professor
tel;work:++43/4277-49706
tel;fax:++43-1-4277-9497