Re: st: bar graph axis color- frustrated

From   Fred Wolfe <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: bar graph axis color- frustrated
Date   Fri, 11 Jun 2010 05:25:52 -0500

Nick's point about "bloating the documentation" while certainly
correct, raises the issue of the quality of the graphics
documentation. It is superb documentation of you know a great deal to
start with, but I find it often impossible to fathom. One very useful
to bloat, I think, would be more examples. many more examples. There
are a myriad of complicated pages without example code.

When I have a problem the first thing I do is go to Michael Mitchell's
great book (a book of examples). The last thing is to go to the Stata
manual.

As an aside, both Michael's book and the manual spend much time in
graph bar and dot with over(). I usually have multiple variables with
overlapping groups. Over() doesn't help. I do wish that Stata might
address that very common problem (at least for me).

Fred

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 5:03 AM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:

> This isn't (meant to be) contentious, but the thread does underline that
> none of half-a-dozen experienced Stata users knew the answer just like
> that, including Michael Mitchell who has written an entire book on Stata
> graphics.
>
> (I was asleep, but I wouldn't have known either.)
>
> But the solution is documented and the tail statement in
>
> "yvaroptions(over_subopts) allows you to specify over_subopts for the
> yvars.  This is seldom done."
>
> appears to be quite correct.
>
> There is a fine line between answering all possible questions and
> bloating the documentation further. Sometimes the longer your help
> files, the less people are inclined to read through them.
>
> Nick
> [email protected]
>
> Kieran McCaul
>
> it's really buried away, isn't it.
>
> Changing the look of the category axis is really something I would
> expect people would want to do.  Perhaps the Graphics Manual could be
> updated to show a few examples.
>

> *
> *   For searches and help try:

Fred Wolfe
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases
Wichita, Kansas
NDB Office  +1 316 263 2125 Ext 0
Research Office +1 316 686 9195