RE: AW: st: sort of standardization

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: AW: st: sort of standardization
Date   Thu, 13 May 2010 08:20:09 -0700

That isn't a range, as you indicate - it's the number of days of hospitalization or the length of an episode.

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Joseph Coveney
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2010 7:08 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: AW: st: sort of standardization

I'm not trying to side with Rich on this, but I know of at least one other
area where such a formula is used for a range--or at least a range-like
concept--and is not intended to indicate cardinality:  in medical research,
length of hospital stay is defined as

    discharge date - admittance (admission) date + 1

and duration of an episode of a drug side effect is apparently defined in
some quarters as

    recovery time - onset time + 1

See

http://stata.com/statalist/archive/2002-12/msg00262.html

and

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2003-05/msg00433.html

Joseph Coveney

For sure, but who (else) calls this the range?

That's just (a version of) the number of distinct values. In some moods,
or in some circles, many of us would call it the cardinality.

A version of, because to spell out the obvious, even with integers there
are at least three definitions that need not give the same numerical
answer:

1. Number of distinct values observed.

2. Number of distinct values possible in principle.

3. max - min + 1.

Otherwise put, are we talking different terminology or different
concepts?

Lachenbruch, Peter

I think Rich is thinking of the number of distinct integers between 1
and 10, while the range is generally defined as the largest minus the
smallest.

Nick Cox

The word "range" is surely ambiguous, although the ambiguity does not
bite hard. I have no difficulty in saying both that the range is the
interval [1,10] and that the range is the difference 9. Does that differ
from Rich's view?

Richard Goldstein

look at it this way -- if my min is 1 and my max is 10, then the range
is 10 (it seems to me), not 9 -- i.e., I think of the range as the min
to the max *inclusive* of each endpoint; StataCorp apparently disagrees
;-)

On 5/12/10 10:46 AM, Martin Weiss wrote:

> " local range=r(max)-r(min)+1"
>
> Rich, what does the "+1" term do for the "range"? I took the
definition in
> my code from [R], page 204. Am I missing anything?

Richard Goldstein