Re: st: extension of countmatch

From   Robert Picard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: extension of countmatch
Date   Tue, 20 Apr 2010 13:10:06 -0400

Dalhia,

This looks like a problem I have had to handle before. I created a
program to group identifiers when values match for specified
variables. You can get it by typing, in Stata:

net from http://robertpicard.com/stata

I have prepared an example, starting from your example data and I have
added a few extra lines that show other id combinations. The last id
"aa9" is the same as "aa7" because each share a previous name ("bb4").

To get this to work, an initial newid variable is created to uniquely
identify each observation. Each observation is duplicated and the
variable an_id contains all name variations for each value of newid.

Then -group_id- does its magic and groups all your initial ids
together. Of the 4 extra observations that I added, those that share
"bb4" have been grouped together.

Hope this helps,

Robert

*--------------------------- begin example -----------------------

version 11

clear
input str32(final_id id1 id2 id3)
aaa aa1 aa2 aa3
aa3 bb1 bb2
bb1 ll1
aa4 aa5 aa6
aa7 bb3 bb4
aa8 bb5 bb6 bb7
aa9 a10 bb4
end

list, noobs sep(0)

// create a new identifier
gen newid = _n
rename final_id an_id
tempfile f
qui save "`f'"

// create duplicate observations for each newid
foreach v in id1 id2 id3 {
	keep newid `v'
	rename `v' an_id
	keep if an_id != ""
	append using "`f'"
	qui save "`f'", replace
}
sort newid an_id
list , sepby(newid)

// create a final merged_id, starting from newid
gen merged_id = newid

// type net from http://robertpicard.com/stata to get -group_id-
group_id merged_id, matchby(an_id)

sort merged_id newid an_id