Re: st: RE: Question on survey data analysis

Subject   Re: st: RE: Question on survey data analysis
Date   Tue, 2 Mar 2010 10:41:54 -0500

Michelle [[email protected]]:
As I understand it, the 7-option question "Why don't you join any
loyalty schemes?" is to be used as a set of dummy variable predictors
on the right hand side, where the outcome variable is either
not_want_to_join_loyalty_scheme or
aware_of_one_of_ten_different_retailers_w_loyalty_schemes (so,
probably a logit or probit regression with other explanatory variables
included).  If you have Stata 11, and the answers are mutually
exclusive, you need not define dummy variables for a categorical
variable; see http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?fvvarlist (but if you have
an earlier version of Stata see
http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?tabulate+oneway and the generate
option). It sounds like people can check off as many or as few answers
as they like, though, so each of the seven options should be a
separate dummy variable, i.e. you do not have a categorical variable
measuring which one choice was made among the seven.

If you have survey data, you should -svyset- to identify clusters, and
probably weights.  Even if the original sample was a simple random
sample (SRS), you may want to deal with nonresponse by weighting, or
poststratify to match the underlying population's characteristics.  If
you describe your survey design in more detail, you will probably get
better answers on that topic.