st: Question on survey data analysis

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Question on survey data analysis
Date   Mon, 1 Mar 2010 23:10:54 -0000

Dear Statalists, I am new to stata so please, please forgive me if my
question seems too easy for you…I designed a survey about loyalty schemes
(e.g. tesco clubcard that sort of programmes) for my economics research
project, but not sure how to compute multiple choice questions in the
questionnaire.

One of my questions was: ‘Why don’t you join any loyalty schemes?’ and
my list of answers include: a) poor customer service, b) unachievable
rewards, c) unrealistic points, d) too much marketing communications, e)
redeeming schemes too complicated, f) choice of rewards available and g)
others, i.e. 7 options in total.

Respondents were asked to tick all that apply. I want to see which are the
most deterring factors of the list that make these students not want to
join loyalty schemes. Could someone give me any hints? Do I have to create
a new dummy variable for each of the seven alternatives?

A similar question asked which, if any, respondents are aware of out of a
list of ten different stores/retailers who have loyalty schemes. Again, do
I have to treat each option as a independent dummy?

Also do I have to declare data type as survey data to carry out any
further analysis? Or is it alright for me to do simple regression analysis
without letting stata know it's survey data I'm working with? Does it
affect my results?

Thanks very much for your time!!!
Michelle