st: RE: Question on survey data analysis

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Question on survey data analysis
Date   Tue, 2 Mar 2010 12:57:55 -0000

Working backwards, your last question appears to be whether you should
use the -svy- commands. Not using -svy- implies that your data are, or
are equivalent to, a simple random sample. Using -svy- commands does not
mean that the data were a social survey, or vice versa. If your sampling
design contains the kind of information that -svyset- requires, then you
should use it.

Your questions are of a kind that have been called "multiple response"
in Stata circles. (There is no completely satisfactory term, in my
view.) Any way, those key words identify some articles that may help.
The Stata Journal articles here are all visible on the Stata Journal
website.

. search multiple response

Keyword search

          Search:  (1) Official help files, FAQs, Examples, SJs, and
STBs

Search of official help files, FAQs, Examples, SJs, and STBs

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Dealing with multiple
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox and U.
Kohler
        4/05    How do I deal with multiple responses?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/multresp.html

Example . . . Seminar: Beyond Binary: Multinomial Logistic Regression in
Stata
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  UCLA Academic Technology
Services
        6/06    http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/seminars/
                stata_BeyondBinaryLogistic/Stata_multinomial2.htm

SJ-5-1  st0082  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Tabulation of multiple
        (help _mrsvmat, mrgraph, mrtab if installed)  . . . . . . . .
B. Jann
        Q1/05   SJ 5(1):92--122
        introduces new commands for the computation of one- and
        two-way tables of multiple responses

SJ-3-1  pr0008   Speaking Stata: On structure & shape: the case of mult.
resp.
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox & U.
Kohler
        Q1/03   SJ 3(1):81--99                                   (no
commands)
        discussion of data manipulations for multiple response data

Michelle [[email protected]]

I designed a survey about loyalty schemes
(e.g. tesco clubcard that sort of programmes) for my economics research
project, but not sure how to compute multiple choice questions in the
questionnaire.

One of my questions was: 'Why don't you join any loyalty schemes?' and
my list of answers include: a) poor customer service, b) unachievable
rewards, c) unrealistic points, d) too much marketing communications, e)
redeeming schemes too complicated, f) choice of rewards available and g)
others, i.e. 7 options in total.

Respondents were asked to tick all that apply. I want to see which are
the
most deterring factors of the list that make these students not want to
join loyalty schemes. Could someone give me any hints? Do I have to
create
a new dummy variable for each of the seven alternatives?

A similar question asked which, if any, respondents are aware of out of
list of ten different stores/retailers who have loyalty schemes. Again,
do
I have to treat each option as a independent dummy?

Also do I have to declare data type as survey data to carry out any
further analysis? Or is it alright for me to do simple regression
analysis
without letting stata know it's survey data I'm working with? Does it
affect my results?