Re: st: Collapse with sum function and missing values

From   Joseph McDonnell <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Collapse with sum function and missing values
Date   Wed, 10 Feb 2010 14:40:43 +0930

I suspect it's a design decision to accommodate the fact that you
could be trying to sum a combination of non-missing and missing values
e.g. if row 8 had the value of 40 instead of missing. You would
probably(?) want to see the value 40 in the collapsed data set.

You can differentiate between the zeroes in David's example by using
the count function.
. collapse (sum) x (count) n=x, by(group)

. list

     | group    x   n |
  1. |     1   33   3 |
  2. |     2   63   3 |