st: Calculating a confidence interval for population variance based upon sample.

From   "Carl Mastropaolo" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Calculating a confidence interval for population variance based upon sample.
Date   Mon, 1 Feb 2010 12:09:03 -0500

Thank you all for your input.  I am currently modifying an ado file from
Paul V which I believe will work well.  And I will also work with the ado
file sent by Tirthankar.  I will also review the doc sent by Peter
Lachenbruch.

Thank you all for the help.

Carl
Philadelphia

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tirthankar Chakravarty" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: st: RE: RE: RE: Fw: Calculating a confidence interval for
population variance based upon sample.

There is some literature on the sampling distribution of the sample
variance, where the parent distribution is highly non-normal,
particularly, this:
http://www.jstor.org/pss/3314982

The basic, chi2-based confidence interval can be calculated as below.

/***** Compute the sampling distribution of the sample variance *****/
clear*
sysuse auto

// assuming that the variable is normally distributed
scalar alpha = .05
sum price
di "The " 1-alpha " percent confidence interval for the sampling
variance: "  r(Var) " is " ///
"[" ((`r(N)'-1)/invchi2(`r(N)'-1,1-alpha/2))*`r(Var)' ", "
((`r(N)'-1)/invchi2(`r(N)'-1,alpha/2))*`r(Var)' "]. "

--
To every ω-consistent recursive class κ of formulae there correspond
recursive class signs r, such that neither v Gen r nor Neg(v Gen r)

database 4824 (20100201) __________

http://www.eset.com