st: RE: RE: Fw: Calculating a confidence interval for population variance based upon sample.

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Fw: Calculating a confidence interval for population variance based upon sample.
Date   Mon, 1 Feb 2010 08:35:38 -0800

This is usually based on the chi-squared distribution - but it is rarely used because the variance is affected by a) outliers, b) distribution.  I don't have my Rosner handy so I'm uncertain if it's the procedure he recommends.
I would propose a couple of alternatives:
1.	find a bootstrap confidence interval for the variance using percentiles or accelerated bootstrap.
2.	Abandon the chi-square and get estimates of the percentiles of interest (e.g., 0.025, 0.05, 0.1 and their complements) with centile.  This may have a problem if sample size is small.
After finding the confidence interval for the variance, you can find the standard deviation easily enough

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
Phone: 541-737-3832
FAX: 541-737-4001

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Visintainer PhD, Paul
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 7:15 AM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: st: RE: Fw: Calculating a confidence interval for population variance based upon sample.

Carl,

There is a procedure in Rosner [Rosner, B. "Fundamentals of Biostatistics, (6th ed.), Duxbury, Press (The Thompson Company): Belmont, CA, 2006, pgs. 199-201.]

If you send me your email, I can pass along a "not-ready-for-prime-time" .ado that I use for the calculation.

-p

Paul F. Visintainer, PhD
Baystate Medical Center
Springfield, MA 01199