Re: AW: AW: st: Increasing Stata Memory

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: AW: AW: st: Increasing Stata Memory
Date   Wed, 13 Jan 2010 10:05:10 +0000

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Jeph Herrin <[email protected]> wrote:
> *nux uses virtual memory, and so can allocate (and use)
> more memory than RAM.

So can M$-Win.

I did some checking and I'd made a mistake my previous assertion that
I could only allocate 1.3Gb of RAM is on my work computer which only
has 2Gb of physical RAM.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Joachim Landström
<[email protected]> wrote:
> The fantastic history of computing power. . .
>
> From the discussion today, it is clear that 64 bit machines can allocate a
> fair bit more memory to Stata than my claimed 50% of RAM. I guess that may
> have to do with Stata's usage of virtual memory, or are all of you, who have
> tested this today, sure that Stata acually are using all those GB's of
> physical RAM?

On my home computer (not running Stata simultaneously btw ;-) I have
4Gb RAM and after a fresh boot ran the following...

$ free -m
Mem:          3961        337       3624          0          7        219
-/+ buffers/cache:        110       3851
Swap:            0          0          0
$ stata

  ___  ____  ____  ____  ____ (R)
 /__    /   ____/   /   ____/
___/   /   /___/   /   /___/   11.0   Copyright 1984-2009
  Statistics/Data Analysis            StataCorp
                                      4905 Lakeway Drive
                                      College Station, Texas 77845 USA
                                      800-STATA-PC        http://www.stata.com
                                      979-696-4600        [email protected]
                                      979-696-4601 (fax)

Single-user Stata perpetual license:
       Serial number:  30110528459
         Licensed to:  Neil Shephard
                       ScHARR, University of Sheffield

Notes:
      1.  (-m# option or -set memory-) 10.00 MB allocated to data
      2.  Command line editing enabled

Note:  Your site can add messages to the introduction by editing the file
       stata.msg in the directory where Stata is installed.

. !free -m

Mem:          3961        341       3620          0          7        222
-/+ buffers/cache:        111       3850
Swap:            0          0          0

. forval x = 1000(10)4000{
  2. di "Setting memory to `x'Mb"
  3. set mem `x'M
  4. }
Setting memory to 1000Mb
(1024000k)
Setting memory to 1010Mb
(1034240k)
Setting memory to 3710Mb
(3799040k)
Setting memory to 3720Mb
memory realloc failed
$ free -m
Mem:          3961        342       3619          0          7        224
-/+ buffers/cache:        110       3851
Swap:            0          0          0

So I too can set > 50% of Physical RAM and I've not bothered setting
up swap (as the above line shows, there is none available!), so this
genuinely _is_ using all physical RAM (under *NIX systems you don't
have page-file or whatever its called under M$, but a separate
partition that is used when demands for physical RAM exceed the
capacity of that installed).

My apologies for posting mis-information in the first instance.

Neil

--
"... no scientific worker has a fixed level of significance at which
from year to year, and in all circumstances, he rejects hypotheses; he

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/