Re: AW: AW: st: Increasing Stata Memory

From   "Karen Wright" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: AW: AW: st: Increasing Stata Memory
Date   Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:28:05 +0000

I have contacted Stata technical support asking how to overcome this
issue of only being able to allocate 1G of memory.  I have 140G
available for use on my computer yet no more than 1G is accessible,
doesn't make much sense to me!  I shall post StataTech reply/solution to
the list when i hear back from them.

Karen

>>> Jeph Herrin <[email protected]> 11/01/2010 18:47 >>>
Well, it can't be good for Stata memory allocation, as
XP has always been stingy about giving Stata more than 1gb...

Martin Weiss wrote:
> <>
>
> " There's something called "XP mode" in Win 7,
> I haven't used it, but it can't be good...."
>

> XP mode is pretty good, actually, at running legacy apps, and also
exchanges
> files with its host OS very fast and reliably. Stata 10 probably runs
on
> Windows 7 itself, though...
>

> HTH
> Martin

Herrin
> Gesendet: Montag, 11. Januar 2010 16:48
> An: [email protected]
> Betreff: Re: AW: st: Increasing Stata Memory
>
> Just a possibility. 64bit Win 7 *should* give 32bit Stata
> as much as 3.2gb, but XP was not good about this, perhaps
> Win 7 also. There's something called "XP mode" in Win 7,
> I haven't used it, but it can't be good....

> Martin Weiss wrote:
>> <>
>>
>> With the result being that the old limitations of 32-bit bite,
although
>> 64-bit OSes can generally access more memory?
>>
>> http://www.stata.com/products/64bitintro.html certainly stresses
that
>> "64-bit Stata requires both a 64-bit computing platform and a
64-bit
>> operating system." Any missing link in this chain can probably spoil
your
>> fun!
>>

>> HTH
>> Martin

Stata
>>> 10.1/SE.  I try
>>>
>>> set mem 3g
>>>
>>> But stata says “op. sys. refuses to provide memory,” and it
will only
>>> let me go up to about 1400m.  Is it possible for me to use this
data
>>> on my laptop (besides having to find a way to make it smaller)?
Can I
>>> increase the memory Stata uses?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> JT
>>>
>>> *
>>> *   For searches and help try:
>>> *   http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq
>>> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
>>>
>> *
>> *   For searches and help try:
>>

>> *
>> *   For searches and help try:

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.  If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer and network.