Re: st: formatted output

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: formatted output
Date   Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:47:53 +0000

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Jeph Herrin <[email protected]> wrote:
> Neil,
>
> By **S I meant to refer to SAS, sometimes viewed as unmentionable
> on this list.
D'oh!  Could have worked that one out if I'd thought about it for more
than three seconds!

> I was an early and longtime user of TeX, typsetting my math PhD
> dissertation and that of a few of my classmates, and still fire
> up MikTex for some applications. So the LaTex learning curve shouldn't
> be a barrier. What is a barrier is collaboration with others -
> on some projects it would useful and others it would be an obstacle.
> ODT I can at least convert to other formats that can be marked up,
> but not **TeX. Hence my reluctance to go too far down that path.
> Still, I will give it a look.

Yes I find this a major pain as it actually takes quite a long time to
write documents in word processors properly (i.e. using the define
formatting for a "Heading 1" when most people will go "Oh right I want
a heading one, I'll make this Font 12 Bold and Italic").

Some cite document tracking as a major advantage, but to my eyes its
just exceptionally messy and makes documents harder to
read/understand.  A sensible version control system would be far more
preferable.*

Neil

* I generally find writing documents collaboratively to be a bind as
what ever I write goes through X number of revisions and often ends up
pretty much how I'd written it in the first place!

--
"... no scientific worker has a fixed level of significance at which
from year to year, and in all circumstances, he rejects hypotheses; he

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/