Re: st: estimating an asymmetrical relationship

From   David Jacobs <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: estimating an asymmetrical relationship
Date   Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:18:09 -0500

Gisella, how about this technique (and let's see what others on the list say about it, as it's been a while since I thought about this issue)?

Construct a dummy coded 1 if there's growth in the explanatory variable of interest and construct another if there's negative change. Multiply each dummy with the explanatory variable of interest thereby creating two interacted explanatory variables. Enter both product terms in a model. If there's a statistically significant difference between the coefficients on the two interacted terms, that should provide evidence that you indeed have asymmetric effects.