Re: st: What is the proper way of modifying user-created ado-files. . .

From   Joachim Landström <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: What is the proper way of modifying user-created ado-files. . .
Date   Thu, 19 Nov 2009 23:46:20 +0100

Roy wrote

Anyone interested in presenting their programs as a serious academic
work should give serious considerations to including a citation and a
paragraph or two documenting the origins of ideas that led to the
creation of that program. Smaller programs obviously do not require
this.

This actually ties well to the topic on "good" programming style.

When we write academic articles, style is important. We for example try to avoid using too much jargon, unnecessary abbreviations and we take pains in explaining stuff carefully. We do all this just to ascertain trnasparency so that other can evaluate what we do.

Should not the same standards adhere to "good" Stata programming style? Is it not important to write code which is more or less self explanatory so that it may be evaluated by peers without undue effort? Isn't this really a basic need if Stata programs aspire to yield credit at our universities too?

Joachim