RE: st: What is the proper way of modifying user-created ado-files. . .

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: What is the proper way of modifying user-created ado-files. . .
Date   Thu, 19 Nov 2009 12:16:01 -0800

Roy brings up an interesting point.  How are contributions to SSC or
user-written programs in general evaluated in academe?  In my
experience, these would need to be refereed by one's peers to count
academically.  On the other hand there are many extremely valuable
contributions from Roy and others that are easily worth many articles
that I see in the journals I read.

Perhaps it is time to consider this in various academic contexts.  I
think outreg2, fracpoly, mim, etc. are easily worth publication points,
but I'll bet they haven't counted for much unless the author or
department chair has been able to convince some higher powers (e.g. 2^n)
of their worth.

Please let me be wrong on this.

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch