Re: st: What is the proper way of modifying user-created ado-files. . .

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: What is the proper way of modifying user-created ado-files. . .
Date   Wed, 18 Nov 2009 02:52:05 -0800 (PST)

--- On Wed, 18/11/09, Joachim Landström wrote:
> Now the thing is. Either I can keep my updated ado-files
> for myself (not a pleasant thought), or I can share it
> with those of the Stata community who have an interest.
> But since I am not the originator of the commands I do not
> know how to proceed. Hence, what is the proper way to
> proceed? Should I send the updated files to those who
> first wrote the programs, or what should I do?

The first step would be to contact the original authors and
seek their opinion. They can take over those changes and
mention you in the acknowledgements or make you co-author
(either because you made major changes or because they are
no longer interested in maintaining the command, and want
to hand that over to you).

If they do not respond you can submit the new version to
SSC under a new name (typically -xtpmg2- or -getcmds2-)
and in the acknowledgements add the appropriate credits
to the original author(s).

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis