st: What is the proper way of modifying user-created ado-files. . .

From   Joachim Landström <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: What is the proper way of modifying user-created ado-files. . .
Date   Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:57:12 +0100

Dear Stata users,

At this point in time I have modified the commands -xtpmg- and -getcmds- to
correct for error that sometimes stops the functions to execute properly.

#1 -xtpmg- issues a conformability error sometimes when users use this
commands and this is an issue that still has not been resolved (to the best
of my knowledge that is).

That error is due to the fact that the macro keeping the panel ids collects
them using -wordcount()- and this function can only keep 244 characters. So
as the number panel ids increases this reaches the -wordcount()- limit and
thus it creates an incorrect macro and in subsequent matrix calculations you
get the conformability error.

I have modified -xtpmp- to instead use the extended macro function -word
count- and number of panel ids in the updated ?xtpmg- is now only limited by
the matsize restriction.

#2 ?getcmds- does not collect and functions and issues an error (at least on
Stata/MP 10.1 for Windows) when option hlponly is issued.

What happens is that ?getcmds- tries to find ado help files having the
suffix .hlp. I have now changed it so it searches for .sthlp and it now
works as expected. I guess that the suffix has changed for the help files
since ?getcmds- was originally written.

Now the thing is. Either I can keep my updated ado-files for myself (not a
pleasant thought), or I can share it with those of the Stata community who
have an interest. But since I am not the originator of the commands I do not
know how to proceed. Hence, what is the proper way to proceed? Should I send
the updated files to those who first wrote the programs, or what should I
do?

Regards
Joachim