RE: st: xtmixed with vce robust or cluster robust

Subject   RE: st: xtmixed with vce robust or cluster robust
Date   Mon, 31 Aug 2009 22:34:21 +0100

Thanks, Stas, very insightful (as usual).  One thought below:

Is this analogous to the use of -robust- in a probit estimation?  I
remember reading a discussion by Dixit somewhere (I think it was in the
book he did for the World Bank about 10 years ago) about how allowing
for heteroskedasticity in a probit model makes no sense, because if the
variance isn't constant, a probit is not estimating anything
consistently (I think this is what the argument was ... several layers
of brain dust are getting in the way).  But estimating a probit model
with cluster-robust *does* make sense, because within-group correlation
or other failures of independence doesn't imply a probit is useless,
does mess up the usual classical SEs, and doesn't mess up cluster-robust
SEs (with enough assumptions etc. etc.)

Does this carry over here?  I.e.,

> With -regress-, the
> -robust- option is correcting for heteroskedasticity: you
> believe you modeled the first moments right, but not sure
> about higher order moments (the second moments, in this
> case). That's what Mark said: the model is bad, but not as
> bad as to kill the point estimates. If you have
> heteroskedasticity, your -xtmixed- model is likely wrong in
> its variance part, and the variance parameters may not
> necessarily correspond to well-defined population parameters.
> If so, what does the inference on these point estimates do?

if I have, say, within-group correlation that the -xtmixed- model
doesn't model properly, does cluster-robust help?  For example, say my
-xtmixed- model is a lot better than nothing (in efficiency terms) but
there is still within-group dependence that is not properly modelled,
and I suspect this.  Would this be a reasonable rationale to want to use
cluster-robust?

I hope this makes sense - I am afraid my inner applied econometrician
might be starting to babble at this late hour....

--Mark