st: AW: nummode option giving error message. why?

Subject   st: AW: nummode option giving error message. why?
Date   Wed, 26 Aug 2009 23:35:30 +0200

<>

The documentation for -egen- is indeed unclear on this point:

******
clear*
set obs 1000

gen x=1+int(10 /*
*/ *runiform())

gen byte dummy=_n<=`=_N/2'

bys dummy: egen mymode = /*
 */ mode(x), num(1)
******

The code leads to an error although the help file does not make the source
of the error clear - nor does the dialog box keep one from specifying -by-
and -nummode- simultaneously.

For -nummode(1)-, the equivalent

***
bys dummy: egen mymode = /*
 */ mode(x), min
***

works fine, so Dalhia can get what she wants...

HTH
Martin