Re: st: AW: Switching from SPSS to Stata

From   Ronggui Huang <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AW: Switching from SPSS to Stata
Date   Sun, 26 Jul 2009 21:40:33 +0800

I would be thankful if you can elaborate your ideas on R vs. Stata.
R is superior than SPSS and is quite similar to Stata to some extent, I think.

Ronggui

2009/7/19 Martin Weiss <[email protected]>:

> <>
>

> I have had pretty much similar experiences, although I came from "R" and not
> SPSS. Still, it is very good to see you here in this vibrant Stata
> community.
>
> Just to kill off that last point you mentioned favoring SPSS. Here is code
> that automatically converts a -log- to PDF on your windows machine. If you
> have a MAC, you can use -translate- directly, and if you do not, you simply
> install the free Miktex utilities and off you go:
>
> ***
> //to log in an additional log and have it transferred to pdf
>
> //can set -linesize-
> set linesize 120
>
> //close if open
> capt log close newlog
> di in red _rc
>
> log using mylog.smcl, name(newlog) replace
>
> sysuse auto, clear
> reg price we head gear
>
> log close newlog
>
> //translate
> translate mylog.smcl mylog.ps, replace
> //need Miktex utilities running on computer for this step
> !ps2pdf mylog.ps
> capt erase mylog.ps
> !start mylog.pdf
> ***
>

> HTH
> Martin

HUANG Ronggui, Wincent
PhD Candidate
Dept of Public and Social Administration
City University of Hong Kong
Home page: http://asrr.r-forge.r-project.org/rghuang.html