Re: st: DHS Ghana variable construction question

From   Friedrich Huebler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: DHS Ghana variable construction question
Date   Sun, 26 Jul 2009 08:11:31 -0400

Tharshini,

Answer to question 1: The ages of the mother and father are given with
these commands:

by hhid: gen mage = hv105[hv112]
by hhid: gen fage = hv105[hv114]

The wrong parents' ages may be a consequence of missing observations
in a household. See these posts from the Statalist archive for a
possible solution:

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2006-06/msg00321.html
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2006-06/msg00323.html

Answer to question 2: The best you can do is use the wealth index as
an indicator of relative household wealth. For more information read
this article:

Deon Filmer and Lant H Pritchett, “Estimating wealth effects without
expenditure data - or Tears: An application to educational enrollments
in states of India,” Demography 38, no. 1 (February 2001): 115-132.

Answer to question 3: As an example, assume you want to consider only
children that have the same mother and father.

* Create unique ID for all groups of siblings
egen sid = group(hhid hv112 hv114)
* Count number of siblings of children under 5
bysort sid: egen sno = count(sid)
replace sno = . if hv105>=5
replace sno = sno - 1

Some children cannot be identified as siblings from the mother's and
father's line number, among them children whose parents are dead, do
not live in the same household or for whom the parents' line numbers
are missing. To exclude these children modify the code above:

egen sid = group(hhid hv112 hv114) if hv112>0 & hv112<99 & hv114>0 & hv114<99

With the commands above, children who do not share both parents but
only have the same mother or father cannot be identified as siblings.
For further reading I recommend these Stata FAQs:

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/anyall.html
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/members.html

Friedrich