Re: st: Switching from SPSS to Stata

From   John Antonakis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Switching from SPSS to Stata
Date   Sun, 19 Jul 2009 11:34:03 +0200

Hi Yves,

I avoid SPSS like the plague! I used SPSS for a few years (and was quite competent with it when I dumped it); however, since having switched to Stata I have never had to use SPSS again. There are so many thing that one can do in Stata that one can't do in SPSS. Basic things, for example (this reflects what I knew of SPSS until 3 or so years ago): robust standard errors for non i.i.d. (identically & independently distributed) residuals, postestimation tests (linear and non-linear), selection models (Heckman type), censored models, simultaneous equations (though SPSS has not bought-out Amos, which can be bundled with SPSS; however, compared with programs like Mplus or LISREL, Amos is no good), models with constrains, robust-regression, quantile regression, and many other things (not to mention graphing). Of course, some of the stuff can be programmed in SPSS; however, the syntax is not as straightforward as Stata. Stata updates are very regular and free (Official updates are updates to Stata as it was originally shipped from StataCorp). There are the ado updates (user-written routines) centrally organized (at SSC--Statistical Software Components or the Boston College Archive: http://www.repec.org) and easily installed directly from Stata. Finally, the Stata community is not only very helpful; it is also much more methodologically savvy and sophisticated than the Spss community. Most Spss users generally estimate quite simple models (or come from an experimental background where knowledge of advanced statistics is not necessary), so, in general, they cannot help you as much as do Stata users.

When you make the jump to Stata you will not regret it.

HTH,
J.

P.S. ton anglais est parfait (et beaucoup mieux que mon français)--alors il n'est pas nécessaire de t'excuser !

Prof. John Antonakis
Associate Dean Faculty of Business and Economics
University of Lausanne
Internef #618
CH-1015 Lausanne-Dorigny
Switzerland