RE: Subject: Re: st: Switching from SPSS to Stata

Subject   RE: Subject: Re: st: Switching from SPSS to Stata
Date   Sun, 19 Jul 2009 11:22:34 +0200

<>

" the entire STATA manual is online"

Not to be picky, but I think you are referring to the online help which can
be retrieved from the net in its entirety. Anyway, Yves will probably buy
Stata 11 which comes with all manuals in pdf-format
http://www.stata.com/stata11/pdfdoc.html

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of P. Rao Sahib
Sent: Sonntag, 19. Juli 2009 11:17
To: [email protected]
Subject: Subject: Re: st: Switching from SPSS to Stata

Last year together with a few colleagues, we were able to convince our
faculty to invest in a lab license for students for STATA. If you would
like to garner support for STATA, I would mention the rich on-line
resources (the entire STATA manual is online), the active online
community and the large number of user written routines.  In my view,
the estimation methods that are proposed in journal articles are very
quickly implemented in STATA. You could mention that STATA allows you to
use the most recent estimation methods developed. Also, SPSS does not
come anywhere near STATA regarding the routines available for panel data.

To get others interested, you could organize an informal introduction to
STATA, you could either give this yourself or ask if the local provider
of STATA could do so. We wrote a letter to our administrative unit and
got a few colleagues to sign it as well. I would also recommend getting
a subscription to the STATA journal.

Dr. Padma Rao Sahib
Faculty of Economics and Business
University of Groningen