AW: st: AW: Switching from SPSS to Stata

Subject   AW: st: AW: Switching from SPSS to Stata
Date   Sun, 26 Jul 2009 16:01:50 +0200

<>

R is similar in that you can inspect the underlying code which is also true
of large parts of Stata. If my econometrics teacher had taught/pushed R for
several semesters, who knows what I might be using today. But he did not. So
I tried to learn R on my own during my early days as a PhD student, with the
help of some expensive books and the pdf manuals, and had to learn the hard
way that only the licence for R is free, not the insight how to operate the
thing.

I found data handling in R particularly difficult, and Stata made that a
breeze :-) It also provided me with dialog boxes to get a grip on the
syntax. It is hard to exaggerate their influence on my grasp of Stata. And
it had these brilliant manuals that let you take a look under the hood with
their "Methods and Formulas" section, and give worked examples and
literature references for further reading and to cite in a paper submission.
In short, Stata excells at everything that put me off in R.

All of which makes the licence fee for Stata suddenly look extremely small.
Just think about the -additional- hours you spend on putting together the
pieces that you need for a research project in R, and even after the first
project you are in the black with Stata. That is at least my experience.
Also, having played around with Stata 11 for the last couple of days, I am
more convinced than ever that you do want Stata to be your major
econometrics package on your computer! The pdf manuals, for instance, are
simply brilliant :-) Everything searchable and clickable!

And there has never been a more exciting time to join the Stata community,
with the posts on Statalist significantly up from the -already high- traffic
of the last years!

HTH
Martin