st: Sources focused on time-varying covariates in survival analysis?

From   "Polis, Chelsea B." <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Sources focused on time-varying covariates in survival analysis?
Date   Fri, 8 May 2009 13:32:00 -0400

Many thanks to all who responded!

One further question based on the readings recommended below: I do have the Cleves,
Gould, and Gutierrez book mentioned.  In fact, I practically sleep with it under my
pillow - it's been an absolutely invaluable guide for my dissertation.

At the same time, I find myself wishing for a reference that delves even more deeply
into survival analyses using time-varying covariates.  Some sources address time-varying
covariates, but seem to stop just shy of the full explanations given for other circumstances.
Such a resource would be useful - even on these boards I have noticed that things
like the potentially extraneous nature of tvc() function (if your data has multiple
records per subject) has confused several people.  Perhaps it is my own thick-headedness,
but I found this point difficult to understand both from the STATA help and from the
Cleves book - it was looking through responses on this board from Roberto Gutierrez
that set this piece straight for me.  Simply trying to check the proportionality assumption
in my analyses has left me in a state of semi-permanent mild panic that I am erroneously
applying advice for different issues to my own analysis - which involves not only
time-varying covariates, but also a time-varying exposure.

Which is a long-winded way of asking --- does anybody know of any resources which provide
an in-depth treatment of time-varying covariates in survival analysis using STATA?  It
would be much appreciated!

And once again, I have to say - I don't know what I would do without the benefit of having
this group available as a resource.  I am extremely grateful for its existence, and for all
of you gurus who take the time to help point us in the right direction!

Best regards,
Chelsea Polis