Re: st: AW: turning numbers into dates

From   Ekaterina Hertog <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AW: turning numbers into dates
Date   Sun, 03 May 2009 22:44:07 +0100

Dear all,
thank you so very much for all the brilliant advice!
I have tried different options suggested by Eric, Martin and Tirthankar and finally opted for a slightly modified version of Martin's suggestion as it seemed it would be most flexible, even allowing em to take into account the fact that some of my dates come from 20th and some for the 21st century (I could do it with the topyear option)
Just in case you might be interested this is what I did:

clear
input str10 stredu1st
200109
197104
197504
196504
196904
8804
8404
0202
6304
8304
end

compress

gen mydate=cond(length(stredu1st)>4, stredu1st, substr(stredu1st,1,2)+" "+substr(stredu1st,3,4))
gen edu1st = cond(length(stredu1st)>4, date(mydate, "YM"), date(mydate, "YM" , 2007))
format edu1st %td

list stredu1st mydate edu1st, noobs

Thank you so very much for your help,
Sincerely yours,