Re: st: RE: e(sample) not working after XTIVREG2

Subject   Re: st: RE: e(sample) not working after XTIVREG2
Date   Fri, 7 Nov 2008 08:06:53 -0500

Mark--
I think the singletons should be marked as `touse'=0 as this kind of
thing is just too odd:

webuse grunfeld, clear
keep if t==1 | company==1
xtreg mvalue invest, fe
reg mvalue invest if company==1

where the only thing the extra 9 singleton obs are used for is the
calculation of the "constant"
...but others may disagree.

I suppose the resolution of this question is related to whether you
believe the individual-specific means are estimated consistently (see
also -fese- on SSC) but it seems to me that since -xtivreg2- does not
even report a constant, you can take the stand that singletons are not
in the estimation sample.

It certainly seems odd to me to report a coef identified by 20 obs on
one company and a "constant" (mean FE) identified by 29 obs, and to
have the same df for tests on each, but I suppose there can be
situations where that is the behavior you want.