st: RE: e(sample) not working after XTIVREG2

Subject   st: RE: e(sample) not working after XTIVREG2
Date   Fri, 7 Nov 2008 12:27:57 -0000

Erasmo,

This is a good question.  -xtivreg2- works this way mostly because
that's how Stata's official FE estimators work.  If you use official
-xtivreg- or -xtreg,fe- and you have singleton groups, they aren't
explicitly dropped from the sample and e(sample) will include them.

Probably -xtivreg2- should either (a) drop the singletons from the
estimation sample, or (b) add an option that allows you to recover the
singletons.  But I am not sure what is best; (a) is a significant
variation from official Stata and should not be adopted lightly.

If anyone on the list has views on this, I'd be interest to hear them!

--Mark

> I would appreciate if you or any Statalisters could suggest how I
> could fix this problem.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Erasmo

registered under charity number SC000278.