Re: st: Skewness estimates with svyset data

From   "Richard Palmer-Jones" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Skewness estimates with svyset data
Date   Wed, 5 Nov 2008 09:48:28 +0000

Yes, I have been planning to use LMS method - basically adding the
adult parameters to the child hood ones given there. LMS needs
skewness - hence my interest. I am only interested in the adults older
that 25 (when both males and females have reached their full height)
so complicated smoothing is not necessary.

Yes, NHANES has heavy weighting which makes a considerable difference
to estimates (and false PSUs).

However, since the skewness reported by summarize is positive in
adults I am wondering whether a simpler procedure is to truncate the
parameter for valuies > 2.5sd, or to transform to logs, or some such
and work in them. Unfortunately ln(weight) is also skewed.