RE: st: Skewness estimates with svyset data

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Skewness estimates with svyset data
Date   Tue, 4 Nov 2008 19:31:46 -0000

My experience is the same: I don't see c.i.s used much for skewness. But
that is a different point raised neither in Stas' original posting nor
in my reply.

Stas Kolenikov

To Nick: yes, I've used skewness and kurtosis to test for normality a
bunch of times (and there's a famous Mardia's multivariate
generalization that I programmed up :)). But frankly I personally
don't remember seeing confidence intervals on skewness anywhere at
all. Estimation and testing are two related ways of looking at data
with statistics, but with skewness and kurtosis you really estimate
something to see that it is close enough to zero... and sometimes you
don't even estimate a thing and go straight to the test statistic.