RE: st: RE: RE: StataMP 10.1 mem issue

From   "Tharyan, Rajesh" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: StataMP 10.1 mem issue
Date   Mon, 3 Nov 2008 16:08:44 +0000

Hi  sergiy,

It is 32 bit :) . On this  http://stata.com/support/faqs/win/winmemory.html page it says "Microsoft has informed us that this hotfix will become part of Windows XP service pack 3 (SP3)."

There is a SP3 available, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=68C48DAD-BC34-40BE-8D85-6BB4F56F5110&displaylang=en
but installing that didn't seem to help either. In fact the documentation for SP3 dosent talk about this issue at all.

So looks like it is job for tech support. I will let you know what happens.

regards
rajesh

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Sergiy Radyakin
Sent: 03 November 2008 15:50
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: RE: RE: StataMP 10.1 mem issue

If you can't change the OS in any way, there is not much can be done.

Let us know what the tech support says, so far it was a known issue
between Stata 9 and Stata 10, but not within Stata 10.
The guys in tech support will be less confused if you mention that
your OS is 32-bit, not 34-bit (unless it actually is 34-bit :).

Legend has it, that trying booting in safe-mode, and preventing from
starting (not shutting down after start, but preventing from
starting!) all the unnecessary stuff that starts during the boot-up
(including updaters, download managers, antiviruses, pop-up blockers,
messengers, etc) might help.

Finally you may consider reducing the size of the data you are using.
Your school may consider it possible to establish a 64-bit server and
run Stata there via remote sessions, and keeping the student's
machines 32-bit.

Regards, Sergiy Radyakin