Re: st: RE: minor bug in -describe-?

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: minor bug in -describe-?
Date   Wed, 29 Oct 2008 18:24:14 -0400

Martin, it applies not only to -describe-, it is all over:

       sysuse auto, clear
       rename trunk income
       regress price inc*
       regress price in*

And in this case the message "varlist not allowed" can knockout anyone
who wanted to use it in according to the syntax:
       regress depvar indepvarlist

It also applies to reserved words -if- and -using-, but not to -byte-.
(Tried "ifo", "using_method", and "bytevar" as variable names in the
code above and abbreviated to the length of the reserved word).

In general I do want the above regression to work, and when parsing a
command for parts of syntax, "in" should be different from "in*". But
may be there is something else there. Since -syntax- is built-in , we
may never know, unless someone from Stata, corp steps in.

A related 'bug' (?) would be the following:

       generate byte long float double z=1

is this a valid command? if yes, what is the resulting type of z? why?

Best wishes,
   Sergiy Radyakin