st: -labgen- available from SSC

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: -labgen- available from SSC
Date   Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:51:13 +0100

Thanks to Kit Baum, a new package -labgen- is now downloadable from SSC.

-labgen- requires Stata 8.

It contains two commands, to generate or replace variables with
definitions copied to variable labels. There is more after my signature.

-labgen- generates a new variable using -generate-, except that the
definition of the variable, i.e. whatever follows the equals sign,
including any -if- or -in- qualifiers specified, becomes the variable
label.

-labreplace- replaces an existing variable using -replace-, except that
the definition of the variable, i.e. whatever follows the equals sign,
including any -if- or -in-qualifiers specified, becomes the variable
label.

Thus

labgen logy = ln(y)

creates a new variable -logy- with variable label "ln(y)". Similarly

labreplace logy = ln(y) if foo > 2

replaces variable -lny- with a new variable label "ln(y) if foo > 2".

A first version of -labgen- was posted by Paul Lin, then working for
what is now StataCorp, to Statalist on 16 July 1996. I posted a revision
on 18 July 1996. At this distance I cannot trace what the difference
was.

Alan H. Feiveson drew my attention to -labgen- once more in Statalist
postings on 25 September 2008 and persuaded me publicly to resuscitate
it. He deserves much of any credit and a small fraction of any blame
that you may deem deserved for its re-publication.

-labgen- as published on SSC is rewritten and -labreplace- is new as of
13 October 2008.

The help carries more details as usual.

For other commands in similar spirit, search -genl- and see Weesie
(1997), or search -defv- and see Gleason (1997, 1999). If I have
overlooked yet others, please let me know.

Gleason, J.R. 1997.  Defining variables and recording their definitions.
Stata Technical Bulletin 40: 9-10.  (STB Reprints 7: 48-49)

http://www.stata.com/products/stb/journals/stb40.pdf

Gleason, J.R. 1999. Update to defv.  Stata Technical Bulletin 51: 2.
(STB Reprints 9: 14-15)

http://www.stata.com/products/stb/journals/stb51.pdf

Weesie, J. 1997.  Automatic recording of definitions.  Stata Technical
Bulletin 35: 6-7.  (STB Reprints 6: 18-20)

http://www.stata.com/products/stb/journals/stb35.pdf