RE: st: Fraud methods in Stata

From   "Lachenbruch, Peter" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Fraud methods in Stata
Date   Fri, 26 Sep 2008 10:08:10 -0700

Stephen Evans has done a great deal.  You might also contact Jonas
Ranstam, Marc Buyse, or others.  They did a survey a few years ago for
the ISCB on fraud.
There are many forms of fraud - data that are outliers (or inliers - too
good to be true), have decided digit preferences (too many 0s or 5s or
even numbers, etc.).  I don't remember all.
However, there is a nice little book that was published about 10 years
ago that Evans had a chapter in and he used Mahalanobis's distance.
In another context, there was an issue at the FDA in which some lab
technicians were suspected of using the same data tray in blood testing
to avoid having to rerun the test if it didn't work out properly.  This
would lead to almost identical values in the control wells, so we looked
at Euclidean distance between the plates that were close in time.  We
also considered a rank procedure.  I tried to explain the procedure to
the lawyers who were involved - they decided it was too complicated to
explain to a jury.

Tony

Peter A. Lachenbruch
Department of Public Health