Re: st: gravity model with country and products fixed effects

Subject   Re: st: gravity model with country and products fixed effects
Date   Fri, 26 Sep 2008 08:32:18 -0400

Marco Sanfilippo <[email protected]>:
I think these models are guaranteed to have: various fixed/random
effects, spatially correlated errors, serially correlated errors,
lagged dependent variables, and endogenous regressors, plus an
inherently nonlinear form, i.e. imports are a nonlinear function of X
(think log-log but you need to include zeros, so you want -glm- with a
log link or equivalent).  So I think you have to try a variety of
different models to address different concerns, since you cannot
address all at once.  You might want to look up
http://www.stata.com/meeting/snasug08/drukker_spatial.pdf on spatially
correlated errors and
http://www.stata.com/meeting/snasug08/drukker_xtdpd.pdf on DPD.
-nlsur- can account for cross-equation correlation of errors, and the
-glm- style model.  The -cluster- adjustment can address serial
correlation of errors. Instrumental variables would be useful for
addressing endogeneity (does GDP growth cause import growth or does
import growth cause GDP growth?). But you may want to stick with
whatever wrong way these models are estimated in the existing
literature, so you can produce a dissertation in finite time.  But try
to convince people to stop calling them "gravity models" which implies
some kind of universal constant related to Euclidean distance
determining international trade which is just silly...