Re: st: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: List of ALL Commands

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: List of ALL Commands
Date   Fri, 19 Sep 2008 15:27:57 -0400

commands, so it does not list you any of the undocumented commands (I
mean really undocumented, like -showpoint- or -zipfile-, so it does
what you write: it lists "official Stata commands", but not what is
written in the help file: "getcmds will retrieve the name of all
built-in Stata commands..."). Anyways, it will address the same
maintenance files that I mentioned earlier: "use the alias help file
to find other built-in and ado-file programs that do not have
hlp-files with the same name". See the ReadAlias procedure.

2NJC:
"better approach is to highlight everything but command names, so that
commands are implied as the complement." -- but you still need to know
what the command names are to exclude them from highlighting, right?

"maintaining a list" is of course a nightmare, as long as a human
being is involved somewhere in the process, but it does not have to.
One can (programmatically) analyse _current_ set of installed ado
files to get the possible program names, but one can't look into the
internals of Stata to get the list of built-in commands (unless you
bruteforce it with -which- aaaa, -which- aaab, -which- aaac, ....
-which- zzzzzzz...zzzzzz).

If this list is known, then everything else is (at least in theory)
doable. With details to be determined by the user, whether to limit
the list with what is in the BASE, BASE+PLUS, or
BASE+PLUS+all-what's-out-there.

So may I rephrase my request:
"does anyone have a list L, such that the response of Stata to
-which- X yields "built-in command: X", if and only if X is an element
of list L"?

Note also that built-in commands have priority and will override any
.ado-implemented commands, so that if I had a zipfile.ado - I wouldn't
be able to use it and have hard time understanding why. Note also that
strangely enough Stata complains when I try to define a just-defined
program, but does not complain when I redefine a built-in command:

program define foobar
  display "foobar"
end

program define foobar
foobar already defined
r(110)

// above is fine and is what it is supposed to be

program define use
  display "use"
end

//Stata does not give an error here, but there is no way to use our new -use-
// I'd expect that defining programs with names coinciding with
built-in commands be prohibited. Otherwise, what is the rationale?

Thank you,
     Sergiy Radyakin