RE: st: RE: Output summary stats before doing other iteration

From   Larraine Becker <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: RE: Output summary stats before doing other iteration
Date   Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:34:51 +1000

Eva,

I tried the estimates store iteration`i', but since I have to go back
using the original dataset before I start with the next iteration I lose
all the estimates but the last one.  Any suggestions here?

Thanks
Larraine

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Eva Poen
Sent: Friday, 12 September 2008 5:31 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: RE: Output summary stats before doing other iteration

Larraine,

please don't use html for your postings to statalist (see the advice
in the faq).

It would be interesting to see the -if- statement in your logit
regression. Is it -if dropouts==1-? If I understand correctly, your
procedure is
- generate random variable for sorting
- run logistic regression on a (random) subsample of your data, which
excludes all observations that have been used in previous iterations
- generate predicted values for _all_ observations in the dataset.

First, whenever you work with random numbers, you should set the
random number seed in order to make your results reproducible:

set seed 123

for example.
Next, it seems perfectly sufficient to save the estimation result
during the loop. You can use

estimates store iteration`i'

within your loop, and then generate predicted values as and if you need
them:

estimates for iteration723 : predict onehat723

See -help estimates-. Do you really want to generate 1000 variables
with predicted values? If you tell us what you ultimately want to
achive, we might be able to suggest something more suitable. It looks
as if you are doing a simulation exercise of some sort; there might be
a more direct way.

Hope this helps,
Eva

2008/9/12 Larraine Becker <[email protected]>:
> Just a correction, the program below is wrong...it should be:
>

> forvalues i=1(1)10 {
>
> use "U:\CS\combined dataset_2006.dta", clear
>
> generate random`i' = uniform()
>
> sort anyprevcs random`i'
>
> generate dropouts = 0
>
> replace dropouts =1 if anyprevcs==1 & (_N - _n) < 3575
>

> logit .......(I've deleted the variables, as there are too many to put
here!)

> replace anyprevcs=0 if dropouts==1
>
> predict onehat`i'
>
> summarize onehat`i'