st: creating a variable using -if-? programming needed?

From   Ekaterina Selezneva <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: creating a variable using -if-? programming needed?
Date   Wed, 14 May 2008 19:55:57 +0200

I have a dataset with some information on a sample of married
 couples. For identifying a single person, one needs to know a
 "site"-number, "family"-number withing the site, and then the
 "person"-number within the family. As this is a subsample of some
 bigger dataset, so not all sites/families/persons are presented in
 it. Let's say, something like:

 site    family       person   personal_labor_income
 1       1            1        2000
 1       1            2        2300
 1       2            1        200
 1       2            3        3000
 2       10           4        3400
 2       10           5        3500

 THE PROBLEM: I need to create a variable containing the "personal
 labor income" of partner.

 Unfortunately, I've spent a day, and havn't
 succeded to solve this seemingly simple problem. I will be grateful for
 any hints.

 Thanks a lot in advance,
 Ekaterina