Re: st: programming with stata,

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: programming with stata,
Date   Mon, 5 May 2008 17:18:21 +0100 (BST)

--- Tunga Kantarci <[email protected]> wrote:
> But still, it may be hard to predict which software will be more
> widely used in future. I don't know how the market evolves among
> these softwares but I may imagine that some languages will wear out,
> as Fortran and now Gauss seem to be doing so.
>
> What would be your prediction?

If you are thinking about long term trends than my prediction is that
the future will not be what it used to be, so you will likely at some
point in the future be forced to learn a new language. That that will
be true whatever language you will choose now, either because your
program of choice adapts, as happened with Stata when it introduced
Mata, or because your program becomes obsolete.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081